Though not part of this route, up to the right, is the Monastery. In 1852, the first bishop of Pittsburgh invited over the Passionists, an Italian order known as the barefoot missionaries. The Passionists vowed to live a life of prayer, poverty, penance and solitude. Their first retreat in the New World was held here in 1855. Designed by the architect Charles Bartberger, the church was completed in 1859 in the midst of an 11 acre compound chosen for its serenity, natural beauty and seclusion. The architectural style is Romanesque. The interior rose window is a copy of one in Reims, Germany. The newly renovated chapel is exquisite and opens daily from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Donate to the South Side Slopes Association
Thanks to our sponsor for their support: