The Knoxville Incline (1889-1960) began one street down on Bradish St. It followed the hollow going uphill to Fritz St. and Allentown. A deep trough carved into the ground permitted the incline to dock at street level. Later renamed the Pittsburgh Incline, it boarded horses, wagons, carts and passengers and was the last remaining of two city inclines to curve up the hill. The track extended 2,644 feet and was the longest incline in the city. During the Depression, it cost three cents to ride. Continue on Freyburg to S. 10th St.
Donate to the South Side Slopes Association
Thanks to our sponsor for their support: