The fort was a circular redoubt located on “Ormsby’s Hill,” bounded by Fernleaf, Salisbury, Sterling, and Fort Hill Streets. It was one of two forts built in Arlington-Arlington Heights during the Civil War as a defense against the Confederate raider Morgan, who, it was feared, would come up the Monongahela from West Virginia. The first, Fort McKinley, was made of mud, its breastworks still standing up to 1925. Its grounds were purchased for a playground in 1914.
Donate to the South Side Slopes Association
Thanks to our sponsor for their support: