Donate to the South Side Slopes Association
Thanks to our sponsor for their support:
Between these two houses is a narrow, paved walkway to S. 16th St. Turn right and walk through.
To the right is the former Polska Szkola built in 1898. Continue down S. 15th St. one half block. On the left, a couple of doors down from Breed St. is St. Adalbert Church. This is one of only two … Continue reading
At the request of SSSNA & Slopes residents, the City and railroad completed this footbridge and the other at S. 10th St. in 2002. The trestle is made of the same COR-TEN steel as the U.S. Steel tower downtown. The … Continue reading
Make left and descend the 26 steps along left side to Clinton St. At Clinton, descend 60 steps to the footbridge over the Norfolk Southern Railroad.
The complex on the right includes the Burning Bush, which offers a retreat center for quiet meditation in overnight rooms. At 44 Pius is the former St. Michael’s Madchen Schule and previous home of the Veronica’s Veil playhouse. The theater … Continue reading
In 1849, a deadly cholera plague hit Pittsburgh. The parish could not find enough burial places for its deceased members. Parishioners prayed to St. Roch and vowed to keep a day holy if the plague would cease. It did. Another … Continue reading
The influence of the church was strong in the Slopes. St. Michael parish started in a house in 1848 where the church front now stands. Designed by Charles Bartberger of Stuttgart, Germany, the church was built between 1855 and 1860 … Continue reading
Make a left. You are next to the former St. Michael Church. Keep left and walk to S. 15th St.
Keep left and climb 43 steps to Pius St.